Maine Legal Group Logo
Main Office
Satellite Office
Consultations by Appointment Only

What to do if I’m Charged with a Drug Crime?

A judge shaking hands with somebody over a table with paper work and gavel, representing how one can benefit from calling a Portlad criminal defense lawyer.

If you have been charged with a crime of possession of drugs, there may be programs available to you to help reduce your sentence or resolve the case more favorably. Let’s look at the state side first.

If you have been charged with a serious drug crime and you are facing jail time, depending on what your addiction issues are (if you have them), you may be eligible for the drug court program. The drug court program here in the state of Maine is an intensive, supervised outcome. You sign a contract where you have either a good outcome or a bad outcome.

The good outcome is after a year if you have done everything you are supposed to do, successfully completed the drug treatment program for drug court, stayed clean, and done what you needed to do, that outcome could be a dismissal of charges, reduction of charges, or something as simple as not going back to jail. The bad outcome is you could be sentenced to the maximum sentence allowed by law.

On the federal side, if you are convicted in federal court of a crime involving drugs, and you have a documented substance abuse issue, you may be eligible for the ARDAT program. It is a federal drug rehabilitation program. It is a 500 hour course, it is six months long, and it can knock off as much as a year from your sentence. That would be the only program available to you on the federal side.


Contact our office to speak with
one of our team members who will set up a confidential consultation to discuss your case.


Great group of people. Managed to get me a favorable outcome from a very bad situation. I would highly recommend this firm if you have legal troubles. Top notch performance!!

Dave Allen

So thankful I chose this team to represent me. They’re the best, hands down. Nathan Hitchcock proved my innocence not once but TWICE, including a trial by jury. I have a family in law enforcement who told me “Bill Bly and his team are the best. If I would recommend anyone, it would be them.”

Brandon Albert





Ready to Get Started? Get In Touch With Us Today!

If you are facing criminal charges in Maine, the attorneys at The Maine Criminal Defense Group are here to help. Call our office to speak with one of our team members, who will discuss your case with you and set up a consultation with one of our attorneys.

Get to Know Our Group
Maine Legal Group

We are a boutique law firm, and we stand out by prioritizing our clients’ well-being. At The Maine Legal Group, our experienced team offers personalized attention in both criminal defense and divorce cases.

The Maine Criminal Defense Group

The Maine Criminal Defense Group adeptly handles all areas of criminal defense practice, including experienced and skilled legal representation for state and federal charges.

The Maine Divorce Group

The Maine Divorce Group empowers individuals skillfully navigating divorce with compassionate guidance, ensuring a brighter future through the challenges of the process.