Call Now To Get Your Life Back

Blog Posts

Home > Blog > OUI/DUI/DWI > Can You Go to Canada with a DUI?
Oct 31, 2016

Can You Go to Canada with a DUI?

I get a lot of clients that ask, “Can I go to Canada with a DUI?” The short, simple answer is, “No.” But there’s a “maybe” behind it. If you have a DUI conviction, there is a period of time that can go by where Canada may consider you rehabilitated, but there’s a lot of paperwork hurdles that you’re gonna have to get through in order to go there. For example, if you’ve been suspended by our Bureau of Motor Vehicles. Not even convicted, you’ve been suspended, Canada will treat that as a conviction and you are persona non grata. So you’re going up with all your friends up to Labrador for some big expensive, exotic fishing trip to go for Big Brook Trout, and you get to the border, and they let everybody go except you. They tell you you gotta turn around. That’s not a place you wanna be. If you have any concerns about admission Canada or you’re thinking about traveling, that’s where you need to get an immigration attorney involved, hopefully on the Canadian side, to guide you through that process. But again, the short answer is, “No. you are not admissible to Canada.”



Ready to get your life back? Call now!

Ready to Get Started? Contact Our Firm Today!

If you are facing criminal charges in Maine, the attorneys at The Maine Criminal Defense Group are here to help. Call our office to speak with
one of our team members, who will discuss your case with you and set up a consultation with one of our attorneys

We Are Open For Business

In response to the global coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, we have adjusted our policies and procedures as it pertains to in-person meetings and consultations. Effective immediately, we have suspended all in-person meetings and consultations and instead, will conduct those meetings via teleconferencing or video conferencing. This policy pertains to all clients; past, present and future. Please understand that while we may not be meeting with you, our clients in person, our legal team will continue to work on your cases and communicate with you in the same, prompt, and professional manner as always. Please be assured that whether we are physically present in our offices, or working remotely, you, the client, will not experience an interruption in the services you’ve come to expect from The Maine Criminal Defense Group. Thank you for your continued patience and understanding during this turbulent time.

Call Now Button